Tuesday 22 May 2012

Wet roads and little lean angles


I mentioned my motorcycle and the fact that since I got it, it has hardly stopped raining. I bought a BMW R1200ST, described as a sports tourer. It's a traditional BMW air-cooled flat twin and is pretty modern, being made in 2005 (at least 40 years more modern than any of my other machines). 
It has the usual BMW comforts, including heated grips and ABS, and it came with panniers which are big enough to take a full-face helmet pretty easily. The panniers on the GS I had wouldn't take very much at all as one was restricted to make room for the high-rise exhaust and the other would only just take a lid.
I have missed having a motorcycle and I only really sold my last one because I wasn't getting an opportunity to ride it - it was sitting in the garage for months on end without turning a wheel. Now I am working in London, I'm able to justify owning a modern bike because I can ride it to and from the station; it gives us an alternative to the car and it will save on transport (fuel) costs (it's doing about 48mpg, which isn't bad on fairly short runs from cold). In spite of the weather, it's been good to be back on two wheels and on the couple of occasions when the roads have been dry it's been good to get it cranked over a little.
There are a few small points. The rear tyre is a little squared off and I should get that replaced sometime, although I'm loathe to do so until I get the tread worn down a bit more. The biggest niggle has been that the gear sensor (sitting at the back of the engine, has been playing up in the wet, so the bike sometimes hasn't known which gear it is in. That doesn't affect you changing gears, but it does mean that the bike thinks it's in second gear when it's in neutral and the safety device won't let you start the engine. It's been solved by putting it into first gear, so the bike thinks it's in neutral, pulling the clutch in and starting.
If you go onto BMW internet forums, this is a common fault with the R1200 series. It seems that water gets into the sensor and throws it out. The solution is a new sensor. I took it to Balderston's and they checked it but couldn't find a fault. They cleaned the sensor and adjusted the gear linkage and, touch wood, it's been fine since.
As soon as the weather is nice enough, I'll be getting some photos taken and uploaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment