Tuesday 29 April 2014

We have an allotment

We have an allotment! It's huge and it's covered with massive weeds.
Why have we taken on all this extra work? There's a possibility that Sam and Lucy might stay with us for a while when they return from France and both of them love gardening. I thought that if we had an allotment, it would give them somewhere to grow a few veg (otherwise Sam would be digging up my lawn and Lucy would be sowing beetroot seeds in it).
I wasn't sure if there were any allotments available in the village, but when we enquired, we were sent a map of the site and two were available, with one possible through negotiation (not sure what that meant).
So Margaret and I walked down to look at plots 12 and 18, which were available without negotiation, to decide which one we wanted.
Plot 18 was quite weedy, but had clearly been worked last year. There was some wire netting about, some edging blocks and a shed (which was locked). Inside the shed, there were some tools and a petrol lawnmower. This wasn't being worked, it was vacant, but why was the shed full of stuff?
Plot 12 was at the far end of the allotments, it seemed a huge plot; it was fenced, but was covered with weeds. The only bit that was not feet high with nettles, docks, thistles and a few weeds that I didn't recognise was the bit adjacent to plot 11 (which is pristine). They clearly didn't want the weeds spreading across, so had given the edge of plot 12 a spray to keep them at bay.

My plot above and (below) the pristine plot next door

On the plus side, it did have a number of fruit trees and plenty of potential.
Margaret had to return home in a hurry (call of nature) but I hung on a little to have a poke around. While I was there, a couple of other people showed up to work their allotments, so I took the chance to have a chat and find out what I could.
They didn't know who had worked plot 12, but plot 18 had been worked last year. That chap hadn't done much and there was a rumour that he'd had to go into hospital. That probably explained why the shed was full of tools (and a lawnmower). Perhaps he’d come out of hospital feet first?
The plot is covered in these. I think it's arctium minus,
also known as button-bur and wild rhubarb.
We told the parish council clerk that we'd have plot 12, it's £30 a year. He said he'd send us the agreement, but we could move in and start work straight away.
That afternoon, I had another look at the map and I was surprised to see there was a plot 13 (logically) after plot 12. So ours wasn't the last in the row, but it wasn't clear when you were on site where 12 finished and 13 started.
This week, I bought glyphosate weedkiller and sprayed the whole plot. I also spent some time trying to identify a border. It looks to me as if plots 12 and 13 were worked as one and the chap had just taken up the divider.
We'll probably ask the clerk if 13 is free. If it is (and clearly no-one is working it right now) we might as well take that one too. I'd use it for fruit trees, perhaps?
In the meantime, we'll put up a dividing fence based on the dimensions of other plots and hope we don't start a range war.
We're now waiting for the weedkiller to take effect and we can then start clearing a few sections and begin planting. This year, I'm a little restricted because much seed should already had been sown. Also, pretty much the whole of June will be taken up with trips to the Isle of Man TT and Ecuador, so we have May to clear and plant. I'll try runner beans, peas, beetroot and perhaps some carrots. We can plant broad beans in September to give us an early crop next year.
I need to identify the fruit trees on site. I think there are two apple trees and one unknown, which I'm guessing is a plum (I could be wrong). There are also some self-seeded bushes which really should come out - eventually.
After spraying today, Margaret did some pruning of trees at the back of the plot and I went around the allotment picking up bits of wood, general rubbish and things that might be recycled. There was a quantity of plastic sheet that will make cloches, lots of wood, fence sections made from pallets, a cane chair, black fake Christmas tree, broken parasol and a brown wheelie bin with no wheels. That has become my temporary tool store. On an allotment, virtually everything has a use.
There's a deal of work to do, but already you can see where we have been. Some of the allotments are pretty scruffy, others are pristine and have paths and benches.
I think we'll enjoy our allotment and if Sam and Lucy do stay for a while after France, there will be plenty for them to do.

Also see: Rotavator etiquette.

No comments:

Post a Comment