Saturday 2 January 2016

More things I've done for the first time

Christmas 2015 selfie with Julia
This is a list of things that I've done for the first time during 2015.
1. I became a grandfather
Can't claim much credit for this one. Tom announced that Lucia was pregnant just after Christmas, although some of the more observant members of the family noticed that she hadn't been drinking. Julia, our granddaughter, was born on June 26 and she has been a source of great pleasure. the biggest difference between being a parent and a grandparent is that you notice the changes in a child much more. Because you're not there with them all the time, each time you see them, there's something new, which is wonderful.
2. I skied across a national border and did a half pipe
Neither of them were a great success, I have to say. On our ski holiday to St Foy, we had a day at La Rosiere, where you can ski down into Italy from the top of the resort. It wasn't entirely successful because a lot of routes were closed due to bad weather. I did get into Italy, but we were worried about getting back due to lifts closing. The half-pipe thing (Sam's idea, of course) happened in La Plagne on another day excursion. I was doing all right for a while, but ended up crashing on my head and seeing stars for half an hour.
3. I walked out of a theatre mid-performance
We often go to the Key Theatre and we're seen some terrific stuff. However, one performance by an improvisation group called Showstoppers was so bad that we decided to leave in the interval. It was billed as an ad-lib musical and I thought it might be quite clever. This type of performance does ask a lot of the players and, sadly, they just weren't up to it. I did feel guilty, but couldn’t face another hour of it.
4. I became the editor of the Thorney Post
It's our village magazine, which comes out three times a year. The previous editor was well into her 80s and struggling to get the work done. It's not too difficult, but there's no salary and no expense account. It was a pretty newsy year, with wind turbines causing some planning controversies, so there was no trouble filling the pages. I got a web address - www.thorneypost.com - and built a website with Tom's help, we also have a Facebook page and a Twitter account. For the December edition, I changed printer and we managed to get the whole magazine in full colour.
5. I took Holly to dog agility
This is an assault course for dogs and Holly didn't really like it. She was so stiff the next day that she couldn't jump on the sofa! It didn't help that she was also attacked by this huge dog whose owner hadn't got a clue how to manage it. We went a few times, but I think Holly prefers a run on the beach or around Toneham. She did win the Easter competition for the longest jump by a medium-sized dog, so we went out on a high.
6. I went to a Flamenco show
The show, by an authentic Spanish troup was at Stamford Arts Centre and our trip was organised by Jackie, who goes to Spanish classes with me and also yoga with Margaret and my sister. It was very good. Mucho stomping and clapping.
7. I went up Boston Stump
My ride-out for the U3A motorcycle group was to Boston (Lincs) with a trip to the top of the stump for anyone fit enough. Four of us went up and it is quite a tough climb (I was puffing by the time I reached the top). The view is fantastic, although we failed to spot Lincoln Cathedral in the heat haze.
Me with U3A bikers at the top of the Stump
8. I got a greenhouse
I've always wanted a greenhouse and mine was finally erected in late spring, just in time to fill it with tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. It will be (and it is) a source of much pleasure. We got a 10-sided structure and built a special base for it as we wanted to site it next to the patio and therefore it had to look good.
My newly erected greenhouse
9. I visited a First World War battlefield
Max and I had a trip to Loos, where my grandfather Richard Little was in action for the first time. It was a classic Loos was a classic British army cock-up, with thousands of men needlessly killed in an attempt to make a bad plan work. We visited close to the 100th anniversary and it's still a chilling thing to visit the many military cemeteries. I'd done a study of the role of my grandfather's battalion and we were able to visit many parts of the battlefield where they had seen action.
The British Memorial and cemetery at the Lens Road Redoubt, Loos
10. I joined Probus

Probus is a social club for retired professional and business people. We meet twice a month - once for lunch and once for coffee and a speaker. There are also monthly walks and various excursions. I've quite enjoyed it - one of the things I missed about work was always meeting new people, so this has given me an opportunity to meet quite a few new folk and there are some interesting characters among them.
Probus president John Meehan welcomes me to the club

No comments:

Post a Comment