Saturday 16 June 2012

Mad Sunday T-shirts banned

The Mad Sunday T-shirt
I feel a bit guilty this morning …

Tom told Faz about me grumbling that the Isle of Man Tourist Board was selling Mad Sunday T-shirts and he ran the story in MCN.

The IoM government has now decided to withdraw the T-shirts from sale. According to Faz they denied they were irresponsible but said the message could be “misinterpreted”.

The last thing I was to do is cast myself as a Mary Whitehouse for bikers and, to be honest, I wouldn’t think a T-shirt has a massive effect on your riding style.

However, the whole concept of a skull-headed creature riding a motorcycle at speed, surrounded by flames, is (frankly) very strange. “Mad Sunday - Ride to Live” was the slogan. I’d prefer a map of the TT course, the date and a slogan saying: “I rode the TT course”.

Why a skull-headed motorcyclist and why the flames? Is he leaking petrol, has his engine overheated and caught fire. I guess it’s a development of the whole hell’s angel theme.

But, in general, motorcycle T-shirts are often ill-thought or downright incongruous. When we left the Queen’s Arms in Pimlico the other lunch time, there was a chap coming in and we met at the door. He had a Mad Dog T-shirt on (from the Ogri range) and I beckoned him to come through. “No, after you,” he said most politely and held the door open for us. Not much very mad about that dog!

Someone (can’t remember who) bought me a T-shirt that said “I fear you have mistaken me for someone who gives a shit”. I only ever wore it as a vest.

My all-time favourite was the rough-looking chap at Snetterton one year, who has a shirt with the message: “cover me in honey and throw me to the lesbians.” I just don’t think people think things through. Presumably, this was intended to convey some sexual fantasy about being licked all over by a pack of sexy women. It completely overlooks the fact that:

  • Honey is very sticky - it would be most uncomfortable.
  • Licking would not be a very efficient way of cleaning it off - much better to shower.
  • Lesbians, being lesbians, would not want to lick a man (even for the free honey).
  • The lesbians I know tend to be quite chunky, have cropped hair and wear dungarees. You wouldn’t want them licking you, even to get rid of the sticky honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment