Tuesday 1 November 2011

Poker playing witches

Interesting night last night. I met Sam and Tom in the World's End on Stroud Green Road. Got there at 6.10pm to find Tom sitting on his motorcycle outside. He was worried about getting a ticket because free parking didn't start until 6.30pm, but when I arrived we went into the pub and found a seat where Tom could keep an eye on his bike (he's very worried about it being stolen because he doesn't have theft insurance).


We'd been in the pub for literally a couple of minutes when some people said there was a traffic warden putting a ticket on his bike. Tom bombed out of the pub and just managed to get his helmet on and ride away before the warden could strike. It was literally 10 minutes before the parking restrictions ended; they must have either been watching Tom or have a policy of doing a last, late sweep to get anyone who thinks "it's nearly time, no-one will do me now."


It was poker night and Hallowe'en fancy dress night. Bit bizarre with all the tables set out with chips and poker sets, then all these people in witches costumes, torn shorts, fake blood and other get-ups started arriving. There was someone dressed as a cat and someone who I thought was wearing a dog suit, but it turned out to be Danger Mouse. I guess it helps your poker face if you have a Danger Mouse mask on.


Sam arrived and wasn't drinking because he's on anti-biotics and he was worried about his liver. Tom couldn't have any more because he was on his motorcycle and hadn't eaten anything since breakfast. So it was lime and lemonade for Sam, Tom had nothing and I had another pint of Doombar. Tom had got Lucy a bottle of Japanese wine for her birthday. Lucy wasn't very well, she had a stomach upset (either a virus or something to do with the mussels, oysters of sausage-stuffed mackerel that Sam had made for them at the weekend). Just the thought of sausage-stuffed mackerel makes me feel ill, but I've never tried it, so can't say for sure.


Lucy's dad was at their flat bringing Lucy a present round. She hasn't seen him since last Christmas, so Sam and I hung around a bit to give them time.


Lucy didn't look too well, she was very hot (definitely a virus, says Sam) and we were not very considerate by getting our dinner out. I'd bought some cheese. Ripon Cheese in Pimlico has a deal almost every day where you can get four cheeses for £7.50, so I've taken to getting a tray when I go to Tom or Sam's. It's great value - there's a Swiss cheese called Panoramo (which is hard and has a herb-crusted skin), a French goat log called Buche Blanche, a soft Brie (Irish in this case) and a wedge of St Agur. I'd also got a French stick and taken some Bara Brith which I'd made at the weekend.


Watched a bit of TV - University Challenge and then a Ricky Gervais comedy called An Idiot Abroad. Sam said he didn't think I'd get it and I don't think I did. I don't think Ricky Gervais is a very nice man. I was always uncomfortable watching The Office and there were moments in Extras where I felt he was venturing into territory he shouldn't. They were funny, but sometimes uncomfortable. An Idiot Abroad seems just uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment